My job as a teacher has become taxing, but I am no less passionate about it. There is a lot of work that I didn’t expect to be doing for my job here. We are undergoing accreditation at Doulos through ACSI and there is much to do for every teacher beyond class work. I am teaching 9-12 English, and 11th grade devotionals, meaning I plan four classes a week that are held four times per week. This I was expecting. But as part of accreditation I am also responsible for writing the curriculum for these four classes for the coming year. In total this means I will be writing two curriculums for every class I teach, one for reading and one for writing – 8 year long curriculums in total. They are all due in December.
I am smiling right now. Which means it is a good time to continue writing this post.
There are many times where I am filled with grumbling about this (normally when my life has become centered around my self), and honestly I feel that the job that has been put on my plate is too large for me. If you look back at the quote I posted a few weeks ago you may see now how it is relevant to my life. I feel that there are many times where the busy-ness of my work creates violence in my life. I feel that often times I must choose between being a good teacher, or a good curriculum writer.
Even with all of this I feel at peace right now. I have literally felt like Moses over that last week – looking toward the burning bush and asking God “Who am I.” However, unlike many times in my life where I feel the burden of this question and do not here and answer I am constantly aware of God’s response. “I am who I am."
Like Moses I thought I knew what I was called to, when in reality I did not know. I am blessed to be writing a curriculum that will be leaving my finger print (through God’s work in us), on this school for the next 25 to 50 years. Whether we leave this place in 2 or 5 years, teachers will continue to teach the curriculum I create for years to come.
In reality there is no better response to the question “Who am I” - a question that I will probably continue to ask myself in new ways throughout my life – than “I am who I am.” The answer hits me deep in my core. Though I am often not able to even establish my own identity, I am sent, I a driven to teach by the Lord who is sure in his identity. “I am who I am”
{So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt." But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain."Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "}
Exodus 3: 10-14
absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeletemiss you!
i can relate brother. we, thankfully, got our acsi accreditation this year, but we are in the process of writing curriculums for the high school levels. and including the national curriculum as well. it's a drowning feeling at times, but what you shared is so encouraging. it's invaluable the support that He provides.
ReplyDeletehope you guys aren't getting hit too hard with Mateo.